HTS Online offers year-round learning, with courses running in the Fall, Winter and Summer sessions. Students may complete up to 10 credits a year if they choose. HTS Online provides a personalized, student-driven learning experience. Students have the opportunity to receive an exceptional independent school Canadian education and graduate with an Ontario Secondary School Diploma.
We offer a combination of synchronous and asynchronous learning with flexible schedules to meet the diverse needs of students and families. This careful balance enables our students to feel part of a community, build relationships and connections in a virtual setting, and allows teachers to know their learners so they are able to personalize the learning experience for each student.
Synchronous learning includes live group class meetings, 1-1 meetings with your classroom teachers and teacher advisor, small group sessions with the teacher, whole school assemblies and Teacher Advisory Group meetings.
A personalized, interdisciplinary and inclusive education.
HTS Online offers:
- An exemplary Canadian Independent school education
- Instructional design centres the learner and personalizes their experience
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD)
- Three semester program (Fall/Winter/Summer)
- Careful balance of synchronous and asynchronous learning
- University preparation with Advanced Placement Courses planned for Grades 11 and 12
- Academic and university counseling
- Academic courses designed with connections to global issues, integrative thinking and knowledge building, highly collaborative
- Design principles are challenge and problem based, leading to deep inquiry, critical thinking and problem-solving skills
HTS Online provides a curriculum that exceeds the requirements of the Ministry of Education in Ontario. Students graduate with an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD), that are supplemented at HTS with additional graduating requirements beyond the OSSD. As an independent school, our commitment is to provide an exceptional academic program, enriched by micro-certifications, workshops and programs that enhances our learners’ journey beyond their academics.
Earn 18 compulsory credits
- 4 English
- 3 Mathematics
- 2 Science
- 1 Canadian History
- 1 Canadian Geography
- 1 Arts
- 1 Health and Physical Education
- 1 French
- 0.5 Career Studies
- 0.5 Civics and Citizenship
- 3 credits from group 1, 2 and 3 courses
- 12 optional credits
- Successfully complete the OSSLT or the OSSLC
- Complete a minimum of 40 hours of community involvement activities
HTS Online Graduate Requirements
In addition to the OSSD requirements, all HTS Online students must complete the following:
- Grade 9 Introduction to Business course (BBI1O)
- An Experiential Education Placement (Cultural, Service Learning and/or Professional)
We believe that integrative knowledge and interdisciplinary learning challenge our learners to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are essential for all students to excel in a post-secondary environment.
- Advanced Placement (AP) courses are offered to students who want to supplement their academic program to meet post-secondary admissions requirements.
- Advisory Program where all learners have access to a personal mentor.
- Guidance Counsellor and specialized post-secondary counselling to support and mentor students as they work towards their next educational milestone.
- Experiential Learning requirement where every learner must complete a field study before graduation, connecting them to community service, citizenship and professional workplace skills.
Learning is a journey beyond the academic program. HTS Online offers:
- Community launch program on the HTS campus including environmental, cultural and social experiences
- Cultural experiences around the world where students learn and immerse themselves among different nations so that they are more globally aware and responsible
- Service learning opportunities for students to contribute to global solutions by giving their time, resources and expertise in and alongside communities
- Profession-based learning where students partner with employers in their field of interest for an internship experience
Community is at the heart of HTS Online.
HTS Online offers:
- Community building launch program at the start of the school year for students to connect, and build relationships with their peers and teachers
- An advisory program where educators provide mentorship and guidance to a small group of students, seeing them through to their post-secondary pathway
- Weekly whole school assemblies
- Synchronous learning in whole class, small group tutorials and 1:1 lessons with every course teacher
- A school uniform shirt that builds our collective identity as a learning community
- Clubs and Teams
- HTS House system
Through our global partnership, students will have opportunities to engage in co-curriculars that best suit their interests and personal goals offering the below:
- Hackathons and Competitions
- Micro-credential and micro-certification programs like Google and Adobe
- Leadership and academic workshops with partners to build skills that successfully transfer to post-secondary and workplace pathways
- Workshops around debating and communication skills
In-Person Launch Week
Our school year begins with an annual in-person meet on the original HTS Campus in Richmond Hill, ON. This is a week of community building, exploration and building key competencies for success in our virtual community. Students can explore the HTS Richmond Hill Campus and collaborate with school leaders, teachers and support staff.
Students and families will also explore parts of Ontario and visit cultural sites while setting the path for a connected community.